Posted by Corine
I don’t know about you but I spend an awful lot of time in my bathroom… and I love it! Indeed my bathroom is the place dedicated to my well-being where I love to relax and take care of myself. To create that pleasant feel good atmosphere here is a short list of items and tips that every woman should seriously consider!
1. If you want to feel a million bucks after a pampering session in your bathroom, make sure to invest in a few fancy items! I know we do not all have the luxury to spend our hard-earned cash on expensive products but if you focus on buying items that last a while it is well worth the money. Get yourself or receive as a gift a fancy scented candle, body lotion or bath & shower oils, etc. You can use these products once a week for a pampering session on a lazy Sunday morning and I guarantee you that they will add a little extra to the entire experience and lift your mood as, let’s be honest, there is something really satisfactory in indulging in a bit of (affordable) luxury! If I had to pick one brand over another, I would definitely recommend Jo Malone. Their scented candles and bath & shower oils are out of this world and will turn your bathroom into a luxury spa in an instant! My all-time favourite is the Blackberry & Bay Bath Oil. The smell relaxes me as soon as I pour it into the water and it leaves my skin smooth and protected all day long. Pure relaxation! It is not cheap (£42 for 250ml) but it will last months if you only use it once a week. You can always go for a cheaper (but delightful) alternative by turning to the Sanctuary Spa range of products. I personally can’t live without their Gentle Polish Body Scrub (£5.50 for 200ml) – a good price that is most welcome in our household as it is a big favourite of my husband who uses it on a daily basis to scrub his armpits..
2. Proudly display your best beauty products on the shelves of your bathroom! I can assure you that it will make it look chic, cosy, very feminine and most importantly your own! Maybe it is just me but I love visiting friends and family and see their best products on display, it is fun and interesting to see what other people are using! Of course just look – don’t touch – and do not open their cupboards or drawers as it would be considered to be very rude! Another good reason to display your favourite beauty products is that it will make you use them! Indeed, how easy is it not to be bothered to use or forget about that body lotion you bought a few months ago? Well if it is here right in front of you, you are less likely to ignore it! Same goes for your perfumes, make sure to have them all out to please the eye! Also check-out Domu.co.uk, they do a really cute and convenient beauty caddy for £18.99 – the perfect item to keep your bathroom looking glam and tidy!
3. Now, have you ever seen a spa with mismatched towels made in synthetic fibres? No, I do not think so! Well there is a good reason for that, a lovely and good quality set of towels will make your bathroom look chic and tidy without effort. Most importantly, gentle materials like Egyptian cotton will be kinder on your skin and provide you with that lovely soothing feeling every time you get out of the bath/shower. Of course, the density of one’s towel is a matter of taste and there are many options out there in shops or online to please everyone. My go-to store is most definitely The White Company. They have beautiful high quality products offered at decent prices plus they seem to offer 30% online every other weekend! For more affordable options make sure to check Matalan or H&M Home. They both have fun and lovely designed products for the bathroom and always offer a “luxury” range at a very good price. Matalan has a cute Geo Patterned Bath Towel 100% cotton for £7. Also why not push the luxury to a crazy extent and grab yourself a matching bath mat? Every bathroom should have one and there is no better feeling than rubbing your feet on a brand new or freshly washed fluffy bath mat!
4. Make sure no one spoils the magical atmosphere by dropping some nasty odors in your sanctuary… I am looking at you husbands, partners, flatmates, guests with bad manners or yourself for that matter! Well let me introduce you to Poo~Pourri, the “before you go” toilet spray that virtually eliminates bathroom odours. I was a bit sceptical when I first heard about it but honestly it works wonder! Just spritz the bowl before you go, do what you have to do and the secret blend of essential oils magically trap the nastiness under the water surface and all you are left with is a delicate fruity scent. So wait no longer and grab yourself a bottle (it is also available on Amazon). They have many different scents and my favourites are Original Citrus (lemon + bergamot + lemongrass), Royal Flush (eucalyptus + spearmint) and Potty Potion (rosemary + tea tree + lavender). The packaging is very smart and pretty and looks super chic on top of your toilet. They also do fun gift sets and a miniature spray that fits just right in a handbag! Also make sure to check their ads on YouTube, they are refreshing and hilarious… just like their products!
5. Last but not least, the best advice to keep your bathroom a comforting and relaxing sanctuary is to keep it clean! There are now a tons of “green” bathroom cleaners on the market if you don’t like the effects harsh chemicals have on your health or simply care about the environment. I personally like the Ecover products which are very effective whilst having a minimum effect on the environment. They are also reasonably priced and available in large supermarkets across the UK. Check their website for their full range of products and leave a comment below if you know of a kick-ass eco bathroom cleaner! If you are still not convinced and want to save a few pounds why not make your own natural bathroom cleaner? There are a myriad of tutorials and recipes online to help you get started and the recurring ingredients are kitchen essentials like baking soda, white vinegar, salt and water.
Now, go and enjoy some well-deserved me time in that lovely bathroom of yours!
Make sure to leave a comment below if you enjoyed reading this article and if you would like to share your own tips and top products!