Posted by Corine
If you are looking for a delicious and light on the stomach pudding, this French classic dessert is the perfect way to treat your family and friends this summer. It is very easy to prepare and it requires very few ingredients which is always a plus. The dessert consists of snow eggs floating on crème anglaise, drizzled with caramel… just delicious!
What do you need for 8 people?
1 litre of semi skimmed milk ; 2 vanilla pods ; 8 eggs ; 350 g of sugar ; salt
How to proceed?
Step 1. Prepare your crème anglaise (or English cream)
- Split the vanilla beans in half. Heat them with milk in a saucepan over a medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and remove the vanilla beans.
- Beat the 8 egg yolks and 150 g sugar together for 5 minutes.
- Slowly pour the hot milk mixture onto the eggs and sugar. As you do not want your eggs to start cooking, make sure to pour the milk slowly and a little at a time. Carry on whisking until smooth and creamy.
Return the mixture to the saucepan over a medium heat and stir continuously for 4-5 minutes or as soon as the foam disappears from the surface.
- Pass the mixture through a sieve, leave to cool and then refrigerate.
Step 2. Prepare the snow eggs
- Whisk 8 egg whites lightly with a pinch of salt.
- Once the egg white is firm, pour 140 g of sugar and whisk for 1 minute.
- Pour 5 cm of water in a large frying pan. Using two table spoons, quenelle the snow eggs and poach them in the hot water (make sure the snow eggs are not touching each other!)
- Cook for 2 minutes, turn them over and leave to cook for another 1 minute, remove and drain gently.
Step 3. Prepare your caramel
- Only prepare your caramel when you are ready to serve!
- Heat 60 g sugar with 1 tsp. Water in a saucepan.
- Let the caramel brown.
- Remove immediately from the heat to ensure the caramel does not burn and place the saucepan on a cold surface.
Step. 4 Plate your dessert
- Gently place your floating islands on serving bowls generously filled with the English cream and pour the caramel into thin fillets on top of them.
- Feel free to add some roasted almonds or some dessicated coconut for some extra crunch.
- If you have children at the table, add some cute and fun rainbow sprinkles… they will love it!